Monday, January 7, 2008

Best day ever...

Okay. So, I think I'm back... After stopping most of the pain meds (even Advil), and having some time to adjust to this new period in my life, I think I am settling back in to somewhere familiar. Feeling like myself again, even with these subtle changes.

I think the pity party is over.

Yesterday was all I needed to get back on track, after feeling so out of it and anti-social since I left for the holidaze... There were three different social events that I attended, and each one was perfect in its own way.

I haven't seen too many of my friends since my birthday in early December. It was tough to catch up with folks while I was recuperating in DC, and moreso with the holiday hustle and bustle. It was great to reconnect after we all were exhausted and redelievered after the New Years crash.

A bunch of my friends from our old artist collective got together for an early brunch. It was wonderful. I was one of the earlier people to arrive, and it was great to have that time alone with the few friends who were already there. I think subconsciously i needed that one on one time to reconnect, and reestablish how were going to "fit" from here on out. It was the first I had seen a few of these friends since I began testosterone over a year ago, let alone since my surgery one month ago...

It was so comforting to field the questions about my transition, to hear what people were really wondering about, and offering up. More than that, it was incredible to see other friends walk in one by one, and to have the climate already set by the early attendees. Two friends in particular really wanted to set the tone for the group by letting me know how much they supported me. It was really humbling, and well timed.

I could see other people who possibly didn't know how to react to my changes suddenly see that it was okay to ask questions, and their body language seemed to become more casual, less uncomfortable. People were easing in to this new idea of who I am now, and it was something I could see in a literal sense. We could witness this process, and new ideas being absorbed and expressed. It was incredible. I am so appreciative for all the support extended, but especially to those few friends who made it so much easier for everyone else to "get it."

A few of us left that brunch to go on to the second gathering. Again, it was good to find those few people that really helped create a space where I knew I would be safe. It was tough to leave those friends, as I haven't seen those guys in a while. But I had to move on to the third event, which was the 1 year old birthday party for my friend's baby.

There were a few people present from the first event, so that was a nice link. I caught up with more people, and it was here that everything was unspoken. In the best of ways. We just had fun and joked around. It was a party, and one for a baby... So nothing could be taken seriously. It was the perfect way to end the evening. Banana bread cake, and laughing with old friends and newer ones born more recently.

I felt taken care of ~ by everyone, at these three events. It was what I needed to kick me out of my cabin fever. My pity party. My boredom.

It was great to see people who have known me for years. And to have them extend their hands to meet here where I am today. And to simply say: Yes. This makes sense...

No comments: