Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Name Game

So, for the past few days I have been trying to deduce the exact procedure for changing both my name and gender on all of my documents and id's (local & federal.) Tricky, to say the least. With the help of a few trans guys from my group, and a few super funny District workers~I think I have cracked the code. Which means ~ now I have to pick a damn name! Yikes!

I had to get a letter from my top surgeon stating that she "successfully completed sex reassignment surgery" for ________. (insert new name here/then in parentheses insert given name listed on orignal birth certificate.) So, while talking to Nurse Betty at my surgeon's office, I had to give her the new name to put on the notarized letter. I chose "Will Alexander Warren" in a pinch, and she said it would be possible to change later if necessary.



Here are some of the options:

Will Alexander Warren ("Willie" was my great-grandfather's name/where subsequent generations took the nick names "Bill" & "Billy" / "Alexander" was my folks' first choice for my brother's name - with the nickname "Alec" but then they figured Alexander Iacovelli was mean to give to a little kid... And "Warren" was my mother's maiden name.)

More importantly to me, WILL is what it took to get me here: pure "will" power and focused desire. It is the name that really fits for the symbolism of this transition. Also, the name WARREN means "defender" ~ which I really love. My interest in fighting for the underdog my whole life, my work in Conflict Resolution, etc. ("Lexi" is in reference to one of my guy friends from college, this burly British man's man who played rugby and studied the classics. He drove an old Toyota Landcruiser, which he then sold for an even older Mercedez Benz suv from the 1970s. So hott! That is my reference to the name Lexi, not all of the 9 year old girls with that nickname running around during recess...)

other options:
Elias
Lucien/Lucian "Luc"
Milos (pronounced: Milosh)
Augusten/Augustus
Lars
Liam


then ones that seemed fun when I was still on a ton of narcotics post-op:
Linus
Erol
Lazlo
Otto
Teo
Timo
Noam
Rowan
Lanier
Rex
Asher
Watts
Noell
Argus
Samuel

No comments: