Saturday, February 9, 2008

Responses to name question~

Here are some responses from a ton of different folks to my name change question. Some funny ones thrown in the mix! Thanks to all who replied... (I hope it's okay I am including your responses here...)

wow. this is big. i feel like there is so much wrapped up in a name. the first thing that went through my mind was the connection to our parents that our name has. i can imagine that it feels really amazing and really painful all at the same time to be making these decisions. the other word that went through my head in relation to the ties to our family is relief... (my response: yes, the family part is tough for me... tough to have to tell my parents that i am opting to abandon the "special" name they picked out for me, to assume one that is so much simplier. i've always wanted to be less "different" ~ being trans, with a weird name no one can pronounce, etc. i've always just wanted to be the boy next door. boring, i know... but what can i say?)

I'm glad to hear that you're well, first of all, but second of all, I'd like to put my vote in for "Will." Second choice(s): either Lucien or Augusten. But I would also like to offer a strong opposition vote for Lars; in this day and age, it sounds like a disease. Please don't pick Lars.

As for the last name, I'm not sure if you have a rationale for changing it, but I'll always love Iacovelli. It's just such a hip word with orthographic nuance.

It's also taken a strong will to get where you are now.

I like Will the best, but why are you changing your last name? Will Warren is a bit of a tongue twister...try to say it 10 times real fast! (my response: this is from my sister in law, who opted to NOT assume "iacovelli" as her own last name. I love that "will warren" seems more like a tongue twister than "lani iacovelli" ~which isn't even possible to say ten times fast!)

Liam Alexander Warren Liam is easier a transition from Lani, I think.
Beware of "Augustus" because of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

dude, I got to say Will is certainly the least pretentious of the
names. my vote is for Will.....but i will love you no matter what.

Many of the names on the list are nice ones, they sound good. I like
the way Linus sounds but I think of the Peanuts character.... This is such a personal choice. I would suggest looking at the
meaning of the names you have on the list. Or working backward and
picking a name that reflects who you are or who you want to be. For
example, actually, I picked a Hebrew name when I officially converted
to Judaism when Jonathan and I were engaged. I picked Tzofia-a pretty
name, but it also means, "watcher, or scout" and I liked that vision.
Every time I hear the name I am reminded of what the name embodies.

So if you found a name that reflected your journey, each time you hear
the name, you'll hear a reminder, which will, I think, help you on
your journey. Your current name, Lani Jayne, reflects your life up to
this point, and your new name will carry you into the future from that
day forward.

I think I need to see you again in person before I can
give my advice... although Linus does seem fun,
hahahah...

I'm disappointed to not see neither Buck Naked nor Rod Stroker on your list.
How about Eusto B. Lani? (my response: thanks dozer! these are great suggestions!)

Lanier.

I like all of your ideas. The family names are nice because in a way it feels that the name is handed down to you. The other ideas are so interesting! I think the name Dulani is really neat. Don't know the origin of this one, maybe Italian, but a great way of altering your name to give it a more masculine flare. And also seems like a more seamless trasition from Lani to Dulani. I love that. Oh, but please, NO LARS. I hope this helps you make your choice, and I hope this helps you know that you should not be LARS. Just kidding. Good luck. (my response: huh, apparently lars is not a favorite! the only one i got stating "anything but this!" and twice! ha!)


A lot of the names are cool sounding but I worry that you would tire of them. A name like Milos, say... if you're born with it, there you are, but if not it feels a bit like a stage name. Then again, maybe it doesn't to someone who uses it. I don't know... That being said, I' m gravitating to the names that are somewhat similar to yours OR just feel, intuitively like you. I've been thinking of you as 'Will" since our conversations about this in DC.. so that one, for example, "fits" in my mind..

My favs are:
Liam - fan of the Irish, of course. And you look uncannily like my boss Liam Power, from County Cork, and it starts with an L and is 2 syllables

Lexi (Lexi Westphal is nice and the name has the same ring/roll off the tongue as Lani)

Will - I like the short names. It is a little wimpy though.. Don't know why... Will of Will and Grace isn't wimpy... neither was Will Tipin (sp?) of Alias.. Hmm..

Alexander - Alex/Alec... well duh, it similar to my given name :) Also just a good solid name. "... the Great" ? Hello? Can we get any better than that?

Warren as last name is a good one if you change from Iacovelli. I like the idea of keeping a family connection.

PS - Dulani is an interesting choice if you want to technically change the name but still keep a similar nickname.

Whatever you choose, you'll always just be "Fathead" to me.. ;) (my response: it was tough to get my name legally changed to "fat head" tho... i tried!)

I am a huge fan of Lazlo -- I tried to get Aaron and Maria to name one of their upcoming kids Lazlo (OMG, did I tell you they are pregnant with triplets!? It�s insane, someday the whole world will be populated by lesbians on fertility drugs... Anyway, they already have Olive who is only a year and a half old, and now it looks like they will have Aristotle (Ari), Solomon, and Willa.)

OK, back to your name.
Maybe Lazlo isn't the kind of name you can give yourself, it's the kind of name you have to be able to blame your parents for? Iacovelli is such a great last name, but I assume you have a good reason for changing it, so... What about Alexander Will Warren? Then you have so many options for short names, like Xander, Lex, Big Al... Just kidding about the last one. (my response: "Al" is my dad's nickname, so it's already taken... well, and his other nickname is "Butch" ~damn he has taken then all!)

Personally, I think it's important to google the names and make sure there aren't too many already, and then get your domain name secured. Seriously, I think this is important. (my response: yes, i checked. some lame folks out there with versions of the name i want. plus, i googled my birth name, and beyond some bad art reviews of my work, i was listed on imdb and the turner classic movies website for some film work i had done in the past. sigh~ guess i'll have to do something note worthy with a new name, then huh???)


Now there is one good argument for keeping Iacovelli which is that you can always spot a telemarketer when they call and ask for Mr. Akkasmelly or whatever they come up with.

No comments: